By Huw Martin
Hello all and Happy New Year! I hope everyone has enjoyed their break from the office, had a nice time with friends and family and are ready for a New Year bursting with energy and enthusiasm!
I know for one the break (if only short) was needed and the large Welsh Duracell’s (other batteries exist) have been re-charged enough to get cracking in 2017 with vigour & enthusiasm.
Lets briefly review some of the events of the last year – We’ve had some major political events that have rocked the status quo, from The Donald getting elected in the US to Brexit in the UK and without doubt these decisions will lead to uncertainty as well as opportunity depending on how things pan out.
There’s also been a major outbreak (Zika), terrorism, civil wars, North Korean nuclear tests and numerous natural disasters & tragedies, as well as a large number of celebrities who died which has negatively impacted on 2016.
However there have also been some awe inspiring positives in terms of the Rio Olympics & Paralympics, the near eradication of Ebola from West Africa and a host of amazing advances in both medicine (immune engineering) and technology (driver-less cars, re-usable rockets & robots that can teach each other) which have shaped 2016.
From a company perspective its been an interesting year filled with a few challenges but a huge number of positives and here’s just a few to give you a sense of who we are:
- We raised over £6,700 for charities in 2016 through our events; a golf day, quizzes & various charitable events
- We hosted a number of IT Director forums in Scotland (and launched this event in Leeds)
- We launched our inaugural HR Leadership forum in both Scotland & Leeds
- We celebrated our 15th anniversary with a black tie dinner/awards presentation to thank our employees
- 6 of our team secured our 10+ year service award (no trip to Bali for our lot although an extra weeks holiday was appreciated)!
- We hired multiple new additions to our Edinburgh & Leeds teams
- We’ve had numerous employee promotions
- We sponsored some major events in our field (XP Conference, FinTech events)
- We’ve developed lots of new client relationships across the UK with 85 companies hiring people from us in 2016
- We’ve helped over 440 people get a new job in 2016 all across the UK!
- 87% employee engagement score, significantly higher than the national average
- Audit scores of between 98-100% with Standard Life, CYB, Tesco Bank & LBG
- Successfully passed our REC Audited and ISO9001 certifications for another year in a row
- Deputy MD Lee Murray appointed to Scotland IS Board
- Kicked off our partnership with Career Ready and their mentor scheme
This is obviously a big list and are by no means the only achievements we’ve delivered in 2016 but a great example of what our business is about.
I want us to be a very strong business first and foremost, a company we can be proud of with good people, processes, systems, suppliers, clients and candidates etc and it just so happens we do recruitment!
So here’s to a hugely positive year whatever it may bring and Happy New Year from us all at Head Resourcing.